New website http://hazelong.com

Apr 28, 2009

Winner of March's Make Up Store Collection!

Hey girls..!
It is time to announce the winner of the Make Up Store Collection!

Thank you for sending in all the entries. I had a great time judging!

To be fair I am gonna evaluate some of the works that got to the final round of evaluation beforehand. I am gonna be honest here as I never delete comments that flame me in BlushBerry I wish to keep this blog as honest as possible.
For those entries that are not evaluated here, if you wanna know my evaluation do email me personally.
I will not hold back on my critiscm *evil*


ENTRIES


Fire
Creativity: 5/10
She sent in a total of 6 entries, each varying in colour design and also lashes design.
The ones shown here are my fave.
One of the thing i like bout her design is her funky colours for brow bone colour.Now why didn't I think of that before!
However, the colours are lacking in the variations of tones, there are no dark colours or light colours, resulting in a very pale makeup.

Effort: 6/10
Why did I give 6/10 points for Effort when she sent in 6 entries.
Well. It would be 10/10 if it is quantity in QUALITY.
Actually I would also give 2 more points if those colour that flooded out of the mask is erased away in most of the entries.

Originality:5/10
The designs give a very improv' feel. I feel like she just did it on the fly without much planning or thought. As for the first picture above, the filigree on the face is a photoshop brush.
Real designers never use brushes, they painstakingly alter the brushes or pen them out one by one.

Yuffie
Creativity :7/10
The gloss on the lips are nicely drawn.
I like the black lashes eventhough I don't quite comprehend whether the smudges are lashes or eyeshadow.
Her colour combo is quite nice but the only thing lacking is that the lashes and brows are not as defined as I like them to be.

Effort : 7/10
What I really admire bout Yuffie is she doesn't take shortcuts. Usually people like ahem, me.. would do one eye and then copy and paste onto the other eye. but Yuffie draws each of them personally. If you enlarge the entry, you can see that she have sparkles in the eyes.
This shows that she is willing to work harder and go further than the requirements.

Originality : 7/10
I like the fact that she just uses not more than 5 colours from my pallete and just by using these 5 colours, she managed to create something eye catching!




Trisha Heah

Creativity : 5/10
For the first entry, she would have won if she had used the colours from the pallete given. She totally changed the whole colour pallete omg. As for the rest of her entries, there is too much eyeliner going on.. there is literally no colour design at all.

Effort : 9/10

She would have also won for her effort if not for one tiny little detail that she forsake. Her picture quality was quite bad, I had to photoshop them before uploading.. cleaning away blemishes and adjusting contrast. Most of them are blur and noisy as well.

Originality : 8/10
One thing bout Trisha is she is very confident in her makeup. You don't see her design anywhere else cuz she did not copy them (at least not from make up looks, maybe inspired from other stuff i dunno) and she did it on her face! Posed for the camera and mind you she sent in 4 looks, which means she make up, remove makeup then make up again repeat for 3 more times. It's painful I tell you.


Violet Passion by Ezat Nakula
Creativity : 6/10
I like the overall look but I can't say that I agree with the light brown brows and the flourescent purple cheeks. For this colour scheme, ash coloured brows and bronzed cheeks look better!

Effort :8/10
Its a great effort if you notice the lashes and the bottom lashes as well as the smudges below the bottom lashes. If you see up close, her eyeliner are dispersed and smudged.
She even added a mole!
but her downfall is her stamped lipgloss. Her lips are closed but Ezat used an opened lips brush instead. Although the leaves on the head are randomly arranged, they shouldn't be arranged in one straight line.

Originality : 7/10
Her eye makeup is awesome, too bad the brows, cheeks and lips lack the beauty to match with the eyes... Funny now that I mentioned it...something popped into my mind........nvm.

Miya Merulean
Creativity :8/10
Haha.. if u compare this to any other design, you will notice something very different bout this design. No, the eyeliner is purple but that's not what's different.
She erased the old eye shape and drew a new one in place!
but I still don't comprehend the purple eyeliner.
The whole makeup looks very ethereal like, the colours are quite well blended together.
I just dun understand why purple eyeliner..-_-

Effort :6/10
I definitely like the magenta lashes layered on top of the black ones.. next time I gotta try that!
She mirrored the left makeup onto the right makeup.. she is one of those smart people who take shortcuts. There is some colours she forgot to erase outside the mask. Other than that, the makeup looks very safe and 'normal'.

Originality:6/10
Somehow the eyemakeup looks like an eye mask. It may be accidental, but if it is intentional with bolder colour edges then it would be perfect!


Winner


Lollipop by Lee HP

Creativity :8/10
A great design needs no description I guess. It's pretty self explanatory when you know that the design is good and you can't take your eyes off it!
I love love love the lollipop concept!
It's amazing!
The only reason why I didn't give full marks is the eyes, lips, lashes and brows definition.
She is one of the few contestant who didn't use brushes for the lashes. Instead she painstakingly drew each of the lashes and brows. and um.. she is not very good at it.
but it's alright cuz her colour design and overall design make up for her lack of skills in portrait drawing!


Effort :10/10
She is the only contestant who bothered to colour the mask with a skin colour. If you do a face chart like this, it is actually wrong cuz it would mean that you need to apply bronzer all over your face!
but then again, imagine this on a white background, it may not look that good. She also shaded the nose area, painted the shadows for the face and its kinda obvious that she is very good with colours.

Originality :10/10
Um.. do i need to mention that she is the only contestant who have a pattern for the lips and cheeks? She is also bold enough to stamp a lollipop right on top of the face!
If I was here, I would have most probably send in another entry without the lollipop other than this entry.

Congratulations!!